Monday, July 8, 2013

The Draft Bin, Volume 2!

So, once again, inspiration has failed to strike.

Actually, that's not quite correct.  I have plenty of inspiration (often coming to me at the most inopportune times, like when I'm up on top of a ladder, paintbrush in hand, and can't exactly pull out my phone to jot down the idea, much less sit down and actually write), but none of the ideas are quite ready for short story status yet.

Or I don't know how to write them.  See previous post on Advanced Writing Problems, Part I and Advanced Writing Problems, Part II.

But, here are a few of the ideas that have come to me, but have not yet become actual, fleshy, honest-to-goodness (or badness) blog posts.


  • Pooping.  As a stream-of-consciousness narrative.  This one is actually about half written, aside from 2 problems.  Problem 1: I can only write about it when I'm in the right frame of mind, i.e. when I need to use the restroom urgently.  Problem 2: At that moment when I am in the right frame of mind, other things are of much more importance to me than writing.

  • The Wire Men - men who spend their entire lives working miles above the ground, on thin wires.  They are born there, live there, and when they die, are kept, hanging, in the air.  Why are they up there?  No idea.

  • A theme park in the future, where roller coasters go through portals to different dimensions or time periods!  Talk about a wild ride!

  • Two brothers, Rhise and Rhun.  I'm guessing this would be a story about triangles, or at least some sort of geometry.

  • A cargo inspector stumbles across a shipping container, in which is stored an illegal wormhole, maintained by the Mafia for time travel.

  • That little bubble of loneliness, that comes late at night when you're driving on a deserted road, all alone.  Will you ever escape?

  • A shop of perfectly useful things that are totally useless!  An umbrella, but it only rains under the umbrella; a camera that mounts on nose hair trimmers, so you know if you got it all . . . at this point, I realized that I was describing Skymall.

  • A man, trapped on a ship lost at sea, dying of dehydration and searching for water . . .

  • What if a murderer stalked hedge fund managers, killing them for their stock portfolios?  With every assassination, he gains new insights into the market!  Maybe this is just what I secretly wish for.  The stock tips, obviously, not the murdering.
Any of these sound interesting?  If one has a lot of sway, I might focus on turning it into a full story!

No comments:

Post a Comment