Monday, October 12, 2015

Book 40 of 52: "1633" by Eric Flint and David Weber


Last week, I read Eric Flint's "1632."  Given the title, it should be easy to guess that this book, "1633", is the direct sequel - and you'd be correct!

Once again, we're back with our time-displaced West Virginians in the middle of Germany, smack dab in the center of the 30 Years' War.  Of course, by now our heroic Americans have established themselves as a force to be reckoned with - and word of their presence is spreading!  How are the other nations going to adjust?
I do like these sorts of "alternate history" books, but at the same time I find that they often get bogged down with a lot of historical details.  I'm not a huge history reader, and so when the names of dozens of royal monarchs and generals are being thrown around, it's easy for me to get lost.  I felt that a little with this book, and even more with its next sequel, "1634: The Baltic War" (coming next week).

I almost need a flow chart to help with all the names.  Maybe include a glossary?

Time to read: About 5 hours - these alternate history books just keep on getting longer and longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment