Friday, June 26, 2015

Unsettled

When I stepped outside, the squirrel raised its head to stare at me.  Even though I was close, however, it showed no fear as it watched me with unblinking eyes.
*
It wasn’t until the third turn of the key in the ignition, my heart pounding in my throat, that the engine finally turned over, coughing and sputtering to life.
*
I glanced down at my feet, only to see a winged shadow pass directly over me.  When I looked up, there was nothing in the sky.
*
She didn’t say anything, but I caught her looking at me out of the corner of my eye, a resigned frown on her face.
*
It wasn’t until I had closed my eyes and laid back down that I heard the sound again - a faint scratching from somewhere in the dark room.
*
As I felt my foot descend on nothing, panic blossomed in my mind.  There had only been twelve steps, I thought, not thirteen.
*
A smudge on my glasses, I thought, as the shape loomed at the corner of my vision once again - but then I remembered I was wearing contacts.
*
When I stepped onto the subway car, a dozen pairs of eyes scrolled over me.  One pair, however, seemed to linger far too long on my face.
*
Sitting uselessly in the waiting room, I stared blankly at the painting on the wall across from me.  Somehow, the face seemed to be sneering back.
*
A sudden, faint pressure against my skin made me jerk, as though I’d walked through a spider’s web, even though I stood in my own kitchen.
*
My eyes snapped open.  I was still in bed.  But for a moment, I felt as though the blankets were bindings, preventing me from moving even a finger.

No comments:

Post a Comment