Monday, September 15, 2014

Lucifer's Gift, Part I

As the little cherubs flapped around my head, making rather annoying bleating noises, I stared back at the man in front of me and became absolutely, completely certain of two things:

First, this was definitely a dream.

And second, this man in front of me was the Devil.

That second fact wasn't too hard to deduce.  The man was dressed in a rather smart black suit, double-breasted and well fitted to his figure.  He had a rather handsome face, and the two horns poking up from his forehead were little more than cosmetic nubs.  I didn't see a tail curling out from behind him, but perhaps it was tucked into his well fitted pants.

Also, he was wearing a small plastic nametag that read "Lucifer."

"What are you doing here?" I gasped to the man, absentmindedly raising up a hand to try and swat away one of the cherubs ducking in around my head.  They were making quite annoying cooing noises at me.  "Is this some sort of vision?"

Lucifer looked taken aback, as though I had said something offensive.  "Don't flatter yourself!" he snapped at me.  "Look, I'm just here to give you this."

And the devil's hand came out from behind his back - holding a banana.

I stared at the fruit.  It was rather brown, and looked a bit like it had been sitting in the back of someone's hot car.  "Really?" I asked, feeling a little skeptical.  "Are you sure?"

"Am I sure?  Of course I'm-" Lucifer paused for a moment, looking down at his hand, and stopped.  "Oh.  Wait, no, that's not right."

Almost lazily, he tossed the banana overhand at my head.  I ducked, and the fruit instead collided with one of the cherubs, sending it down into a crashing dive-bomb with a dismayed squeak.  The devil reached back behind his back once again, looking slightly uncomfortable as he reached around.

"Er, just give me a second," he said to me after a moment as he rummaged around.  "I really thought I had it."

Most of the other cherubs had dived down to see to their fallen companion, and I was glad for the peace.  "Take your time," I shrugged, looking around. while I waited...

To be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment