Saturday, October 26, 2013

Temporary Hiatus

Attention, my dear readers: Missing Brains, the nearly-award-winning blog, is going to be going on hiatus for the next month.  Fear not, we will return, but for the next month, this blog will lie still and (mostly) dormant.

"But why!?" you might ask.  "Why would you forsake us, and stop providing us with free and mildly entertaining stories?"

Well, it certainly isn't because I'm going to stop writing!  On the contrary, in honor of NaNoWriMo, I'm going to be undertaking an entire novel.  In only thirty days!

I can just hear you all now.  "Nano-rhyme-o?  What the heck is that?"

Not quite, but good try on the pronunciation!  National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo, is every November, when thousands of budding novelists all around the world try to sit down and write a full-length novel in just November - in 30 days.

"That sounds next to impossible.  Writing a whole novel?  In just 30 days?  Isn't that, like, 5,000 words a day?"

Actually, it's just 1,667 words per day.  A novel can be as few as 30,000 words, or as many as 80,000.  Some novels are even longer, but those tend to drag on, and should either be pared down or should be split into two different stories.  50,000 words is usually a good standard to aim for.  And working with Times New Roman, 12 point font, double spaced, this works out to only about 4-5 pages per day.

Now that doesn't seem too hard, does it?

Actually, as a former NaNoWriMo survivor veteran, I can attest to the fact that it is quite difficult.  Plotlines change and evolve, new characters appear, and sometimes edits are needed.  And edits don't count towards length requirements.

Add in to this that I have plenty of other work that comes ahead of writing, and NaNoWriMo becomes quite the challenge.  But never let it be said that I will back away from a challenge, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Want to track my progress?  Check out my writer's profile here.  And wish me luck!  If anything, maybe consider becoming a participant in NaNoWriMo yourself!

Talk to you all at the end of the November?

No comments:

Post a Comment