Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My entry on the next Lascaux Flash contest

We interrupt this blog for a brief announcement; my entry for the Lascaux Review's Flash Fiction contest is now up!

Here's my short, 250-word story:


#124 Salvation
I stand in front of the uniformed guard, my amulet of passage clutched tightly in one hand. The paper wrinkles slightly in my grasp, and I try not to smudge the markings.
From behind his podium, the gatekeeper stares down at me. He does not speak, but silently extends his hand, waiting for payment. I hold out my talisman, my hand trembling slightly.
The man takes the paper from me and examines it closely, reading the cramped writings. I wait, holding my breath. This is the last trial; if I fail here, all my efforts will have been for naught. I can go no further.
After what seems an eternity, the man passes back my paper and, with an artificial smile that does not reach his eyes, waves me onward. Heart in my throat, I continue past him, now walking fast, climbing the stairs into the cramped interior beyond. I search for my seat, still refusing to let myself relax.
I stare out the tiny window, finally able to breathe, as I watch my homeland drop away beneath us. Ahead of me lies the unknown - confusion, uncertainty, risk, and hope. I can never return, and feel the acute pain of loss. But there is no longer anything to return to; my future lies ahead.

A tin voice speaks from the front. “The captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign.”


Here's the link to my post on the Lascaux Flash website - go read more of the entries!

P.S. And there is already someone else who's used my title, "Salvation", for their own short story.  Mine is #124.

No comments:

Post a Comment